Performance Conversations focuses on Effective Performance Feedback and Defensive Behaviour.
Leaders, managers and supervisors are expeted to lead, coach, mentor and give employees feedback. For many, delivering effective feedback can be challenging. These discussions can potentially impact on your relationship with the employee, the person’s performance, and the team dynamic / output.
During performance conversations, defensiveness often emerges. Defensiveness prevents people from learning and blocks the potential for new possibilities. Effective leaders need to understand how defensiveness works so they are able to support the employee and manage themselves in these challenging conversations.
This practical, highly interactive course explores ways to provide feedback that supports a positive, performance driven environment where these conversations are expected and received well.
At the end of the training, participants will be able to:
- Initiate 6 feedback conversations that result in behavior change and maintain the employee relationship;
- Understand and empathize with struggling employees and still hold them to workplace expectations;
- Utilize a toolkit of options for difficult conversations and be prepared to respond to a variety of reactions;
- Be confident in knowing when and where to have difficult conversations and how to explore the cause;
- Know how to adjust conversations when speaking to the direct, blunt employee as well as the indirect sensitive employee (adding art to the science);
- Explore the internal and external causes of defensiveness and how to respond; and
- Recognize when to have a conversation and when to transition the conversation into a performance/attendance management or disciplinary process.
This course is scheduled to run in person. Contact email@example.com if you are unable to attend the course in person; we will check to see if you can join the in-person course by Zoom.
Janet has a Masters of Education (1987) with a focus on organizational behavior. She has been mediating, coaching and training for over 35 years, specializing in the workplace. Her training has focused on building employees’ capacity to talk about performance gaps or other work concerns that all too frequently get ignored. Her focus in mediation has been to help people understand and analyze their own situations, and together find ways to resolve differences and create plans to move forward. Janet has provided coaching, mediation and training services in many organizations in Manitoba, as well as numerous other private and public institutions in Canada and around the world. She has taught courses in conflict resolution at the University of Manitoba and University of Winnipeg. In addition to articles on topics such as decision-making, guilt and shame, and forgiveness, Janet presented a TedX talk If You could See what I See, You could Achieve your Dreams.
- QNET Members: $729.00 + GST | QNET member list
- Event Partners (see list below): $729.00 + GST
- Non-Members: $839.00 + GST | Join QNET
Please review event Terms & Conditions
Cancellations (by the attendee) must be received in writing no later than 8 days prior to the course start.
Members of the following organizations receive the partner rate for this event.
- ASCM Winnipeg Chapter
- CPHR Manitoba
- Manitoba Aerospace
Funding provided by The Manitoba government.
- An optional course in the 70 credit hour QNET Certificate in Management Development (CMD).
- This program has been approved for 16 CPHR Continued Professional Development Hours by CPHR Manitoba.
- Eligible for credit in the CAM:OE (Certificate in Applied Management: Organizational Effectiveness) in partnership with the University of Manitoba, Continuing Education
* indicates required fields
660-175 Hargrave St.
Jan was excellent. Very good at explaining things and excellent material.
Jan was awesome! She knows her stuff. Very friendly, knowledgeable, and well spoken
I will for sure be having my Performance Conversations manual handy at my desk. I know I will be referencing it all the time to help guide me with those conversations I find myself struggling to have with people
Well spoken and relatable. Great depth of experience
Just a huge thank you for the great content in this course and for engaging this wonderful facilitator